Are Money Trees Toxic To Dogs?

Are you looking for a unique way to add some greenery to your home? Then you might want to consider a money tree. Also known as a Pachira Aquatica, a money tree is a tropical plant native to Central and South America.

Money trees are often used in feng shui and are believed to bring prosperity and good luck. While money trees are not actually known to produce money, they are easy to care for and make an excellent addition to any home.

As far as safety goes, money trees are generally safe for dogs. However, it is important to keep in mind that all plants contain some toxins that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities.

If your dog eats some money tree leaves, it may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. In most cases, these symptoms will go away on their own, and your dog will be fine. But, if you are worried about your dog’s well-being, it is always best to call your dog’s veterinarian.

Are The Leaves Of A Money Tree Toxic To Dogs?

If you’re thinking of adding a money tree to your home, you might wonder if the leaves are toxic to canines and kids. While the plant is not considered poisonous, it can cause stomach upset if ingested. The symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling.

If you notice your pet or child showing any of these signs after coming into contact with a money tree, it’s essential to call your vet or doctor right away. In most cases, the symptoms will resolve on their own, but it’s always best to be cautious.

Money trees are beautiful plants that make great additions to any home, but it’s important to be aware of the potential risks before bringing one into your home.

What Will Happen If Your Pup Eats Some Of The Leaves?

If your pup takes a nibble of a money tree, the worst that will happen is an upset stomach. The leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling, but these symptoms are usually not serious and resolve independently.

If you’re concerned about your pup’s health, it’s always best to talk to your veterinarian. They may recommend giving your pup some over-the-counter medication to help with the discomfort, or they may suggest bringing them in for a checkup.

Bottom line: while money trees are not considered poisonous, they can cause stomach upset if ingested. If you notice your pet or child showing any signs of illness after coming into contact with a money tree, it’s important to call your veterinarian or doctor immediately.

Different Varieties Of Money Trees And Their Level Of Toxicity

These popular houseplants are easy to care for and are said to bring prosperity to their owners. But before you run out and buy one, it’s important to know that not all money trees are created equal. In addition, some varieties are more toxic than others, so choosing the right plant for your home is essential.

Chinese Money Tree

The Chinese money tree is a popular plant for good luck, but did you know it’s also safe for pets and children? That’s right, this plant is non-toxic, so you don’t have to worry about your fur baby nibbling on a leaf or your toddler chewing on a stem.

The Chinese money tree is also known to be easy to care for, making it an excellent choice for those who are new to plant ownership.

So if you’re looking for a good luck charm that won’t cause harm to your loved ones, the Chinese money tree is a perfect option.

Pachira Money Tree

The Pachira Money Tree is a popular decoration for both homes and businesses. It’s also known as a good luck tree, which might explain why it’s often given as a gift. But did you know that the Pachira Money Tree is mildly toxic to pets and children?

The tree contains saponins, which can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. In severe cases, saponins can cause difficulty breathing or heart arrhythmias.

If your pet or child has eaten any part of a Pachira Money Tree, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately. While the tree is not deadly, it can still lead to serious health issues.

Pothos Money Plants

Pothos money plants are a type of evergreen vine commonly grown indoors. They are easy to care for and can tolerate low light levels, making them ideal for homes and office buildings.

However, it is important to note that money plants are mildly toxic to dogs if they chew on the leaves or eat them. Therefore, if you have a dog, you should try to prevent them from getting close to the plant. If your dog does ingest a money plant, it may get an upset tummy, including diarrhea and vomiting. If you suspect your pup has eaten a money plant, consult with your vet right away.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating Money Trees?

If you have a money tree in your home, it’s essential to take some precautions to prevent your dog from getting to it. Here are a few tips:

  • Train Your Dog: One of the best ways to prevent your dog from eating money trees is to train them not to. This will take time and a lot of patience, but it’s worth it if it means keeping your dog safe. Start by teaching your furry friend the “leave it” command. Then, practice this command with other objects before moving on to the money tree. With a little effort, you can ensure that your fur baby stays safe around money trees. Just remember that successful training depends on patience and consistency.
  • Keep the plant out of reach: Money trees should be kept in a place your dog cannot access. This might mean keeping the plant on a high shelf or in a room where your dog is not allowed.
  • Supervise your dog: If you can’t keep the plant out of reach, supervise your dog whenever they are near the plant. This way, you can stop them from eating any leaves or stems.
  • Consider using a pet gate: If you have a small dog, you may want to consider using a pet gate to block off the area where the plant is located. This will prevent your dog from getting to the plant even if you’re not around to supervise.
  • Use a repellent: You can purchase some repellents that can help keep your pup away from money trees. These products usually contain citrus or mint, which dogs find unpleasant. You can spray the repellent around the base of the plant or on the leaves themselves.
  • Talk to your veterinarian: If you’re concerned about your dog’s safety, talk to your veterinarian. They can offer guidance on how to keep your dog healthy and safe.

Taking these precautions can help ensure that your dog stays safe and healthy.

What About Other Pets – Are Money Trees Safe?

While somewhat toxic to our canine friends, are they also toxic to other pets?


If you’re a cat person, you may wonder if money trees are safe for your feline friend. The good news is that money trees are not toxic to cats. In fact, cats are attracted to the smell of the leaves, so your money tree may become a new favorite hangout spot for your kitty.

Just be sure to keep an eye on your cat if you notice it nibbling on the leaves, as too much can cause stomach upset.


Are money trees safe for rabbits? That’s a great question, and the answer is yes! Money trees are actually a type of succulent, and the leaves are not toxic to rabbits. In fact, rabbits typically love eating succulent leaves.

So if you have a money tree in your home, there’s no need to worry about your rabbit getting sick from eating the leaves.


Money trees are not toxic to reptiles and will not harm them. Money trees can be a great addition to your reptile’s cage. They provide visual and physical enrichment, and their leaves can help promote healthy growth. So if you’re looking for a safe, non-toxic plant for your reptile, a money tree is an excellent choice!


The leaves of a money tree are not toxic and will not harm your chameleon if they happen to eat one. However, the branches of a money tree are too flimsy for a chameleon to climb on and could potentially break, causing your chameleon to fall and hurt itself.

So while money trees are safe for chameleons to be around, keeping them away from the branches is best.

Take Away

So, if you have a money tree in your home, keeping it away from your dog is important. And, if your dog does eat the leaves, you may see some signs of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

If this happens, call your pup’s veterinarian asap. They can help you determine if your dog needs any treatment, and they can also help you figure out how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks for reading! I hope this information was helpful.

Similar Posts