Are Pothos Toxic To Dogs?

For more people, caring for house plants is becoming a popular pastime. It doesn’t matter what plant you are looking after; people love taking care of their plants and watching them flourish.

Pothos is one example of a houseplant that is easy to care for and grow, even if it’s hard to remember to water them.

However, you should be careful with pothos plants, as they can be toxic and hazardous to keep around animals. If you have any questions or concerns, we can help!

What Makes a Pothos Plant Poisonous?

Pothos plants are a type of trailing vine native to the South Pacific Solomon Islands. It is highly toxic and is loved for its beautiful heart-shaped leaves with intricate patterns, shapes, and variegation.

Pothos plants can be extremely toxic because of the calcium oxalate crystals in their stems. The calcium oxalate crystals can pierce the skin and eyes and cause irritation if they are ingested. If the plant is chewed or swallowed, it can cause damage to the digestive system and respiratory system. This is why these plants can prove very dangerous for pets like cats and dogs.

It can be difficult to identify or discuss Pothos because of its many names. However, this plant is easy to recognize by its unique appearance. The leaves are a mixture of yellow and green, with yellow outlining the green.

You should not let your dog eat or chew on this plant, as it can cause irritation and pain in the mouth.

Most dogs will recover from pothos toxicity with only supportive therapies. If you wait too long to seek veterinary attention, crystal formation may occur in the urine, leading to other medical problems. You can make a complete, straightforward recovery if you get to veterinary care as soon as possible.

Pothos plants can cause problems for pets, ranging from mild irritation of the lips to severe breathing difficulties due to swelling of the tongue. Because of its distinctive markings on the leaves, you can easily identify the pothos plant.

If your dog is seen eating this plant, call your veterinarian immediately.

Related: Plants Poisonous To Dogs

Are all Pothos Toxic for Pets?


The ASPCA explains that pothos plants can be poisonous to pets, such as cats or dogs, and can also cause adverse reactions in humans.

This beautiful but poisonous plant’s entire body can be deadly. The seeds, leaves, and roots are all dangerous. An animal, such as a pet or dog, could ingest any part of the pothos plants, which could cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, or even death.

Although pothos plants are not toxic to humans, they can cause skin irritation, burning, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat.

What should I do If my Dog Eats Pothos?

Pothos plants can be extremely toxic and deadly for dogs. They cause irritation in the mouth, tongue, and throat, which can lead to difficulty breathing, swallowing, vomiting, and liver failure. Pothos plants should be avoided at all costs.

However, accidents happen, and your pet might have eaten some of your pothos plants.

You should immediately notify your veterinarian if you notice that your dog is eating a portion of a pothos. Your dog’s chances of a full recovery are better if you get medical attention as soon as possible.

Pothos poisoning is a condition in which dogs become ill.

The most common symptoms are:

  • Itching of the lips, tongue, or mouth
  • Excessive drooling
  • Foaming at your dog’s mouth
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Vomiting
  • Respiratory problems
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Difficulty in breathing

If your dog shows any of these signs, you should immediately take him to the vet or a professional. The veterinarian will clean the dog’s mouth and remove any plant remnants that may be causing further damage. If your dog is unable to breathe, they may put them on oxygen. Your veterinarian might administer antihistamines to your pet if it has become swollen.

Fluids may be used to flush out the poisonous plant from your dog’s body and to prevent them from damaging the liver and kidneys. This would cause the organs to shut down and eventually fail. Your veterinarian should act quickly after your dog has ingested Pothos to ensure the best outcome.

The American College of Veterinary Pharmacists states that the ‘minimum threshold of toxicity is unknown,’ so you should immediately report any suspicions that your pet may have ingested Pothos.

Pothostoxicity is usually mild, meaning that some dogs may only inhale a small amount. With the correct treatment, your dog will be fine. To be safe, pothos plants should be kept off the pet’s and children’s reach.

Pothos Poisoning in Dogs

The veterinarian might attempt to clean out your dog’s mouth if there is any kind of pain, drooling, or foaming. The veterinarian will wash out any crystals that may remain in your dog’s mouth to prevent further damage.

Your veterinarian might recommend oxygen flow-by for your dog if it has breathing problems. Your veterinarian may need to intubate your dog if your dog has severe swelling, and he will continue oxygen administration via intubation until the dog stabilizes. You will notice a decrease in swelling within 2 to 4 hours.

Fluid therapy will be given to your dog to flush out the toxin faster, prevent kidney damage, and correct dehydration. Fluid therapy will continue to push liquid into your dog in case of crystal formation. He will need to urinate more often to ensure that the urine doesn’t remain in his bladder for too long to cause crystal formation.

What Should I Do if my Cat Eats a Pothos Plant?

Cats are curious creatures and might try to eat your pothos plants. You should immediately take a cat to the vet if it is seen chewing on pothos plants. You might also consider taking a leaf from the Pothos in question to allow the veterinarian to examine it and determine the best course quickly.

Pothos poisoning in cats can also cause the same reaction as in dogs. To ensure your pet’s health and safety, you should immediately take them to the veterinarian.


You should seek immediate medical attention if you suspect an animal has eaten or ingested a part of your pothos plants.

Pothos plants can be extremely poisonous and toxic. They can cause damage to the digestive system, respiratory problems, as well as damage to the liver and kidneys.

As a precaution, you should keep the plant away from children and pets.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts