Are you searching for the best orthopedic dog bed? Is your pet suffering from any musculoskeletal problems or injuries? Or are you just searching for a high-quality resting solution for your favorite “couch potato?”
We have outlined some of the best beds for you to consider. We have also prepared a basic buyer’s guide to help inform any dog bed purchases you will make.
How to Choose the Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
Recent research on dog habits has shown that they sleep for up to 13 hours daily. They also tend to develop strong connections to any room in the house their owner dedicates for their rest. So, giving them a good place to sleep, like an orthopedic bed, can help them in many ways.
It allows your dog to sleep comfortably while also promoting healthy behavioral habits. Here are some of the factors to consider when picking an orthopedic bed for your dog:
1. Bed Design
There are various orthopedic dog bed designs. We narrowed down these bed categories into two simple groups, which are:
- Nest dog bed: These are the bed types that your pet will use as an area for rest or a place for seclusion. They usually feature walled nests that provide improved comfort and security for your pets. It’s also ideal for rambunctious pets, such as those suffering from restlessness.
- Mattress dog bed: These beds are suitable for dogs that want to stretch and don’t like sitting in confined bed settings. Usually, the best bed designs in this category include those that have adjustable cushions. These make it easy to customize the filling to suit the different characteristics of your dog.
2. Filling Quality
The fillings refer to the innards of an orthopedic dog bed. They help provide texture and stability to these beds. Fillings are available in different types, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. The best filler for dog beds is memory foam.
That’s because it’s perfect for relieving issues like pains and aches. It can also support large or small dogs without any compromise on comfort. Memory foam beds also offer ease of maintenance, making them perfect for dogs that still don’t have adequate potty training.
When selecting a filling option, you want to pick the types that offer values such as longevity and comfort. High-street dog beds feature fiber filling, which is similar to what you’d find in a traditional upholstery cushion. These can be quite expensive. But while low-cost filler might make for a cheaper dog bed, it doesn’t offer longevity benefits.
3. Bed Appearance
You should be keen on the aesthetics of your dog’s bed, especially if you intend to have it indoors. One reason is that you want to pick a dog bed that blends well with your interior aesthetics. You also want a bed that offers longevity and ease of use. Moreover, dog beds are available in different colors, meaning you have to choose one that suits your needs best.
4. Bed Size
One other important aspect of picking a good dog bed is its width. You want to settle for a dog bed that at least meets the standard dog bed designs on the market. Here is a simple test you can perform:
i. Get your dog and let them stand up straight.
ii. Get a tape measure and use it to note down the length from the bottom of the paw to the shoulder. The measurement you write down refers to the space your dog will require to sit fully stretched.
iii. Next, compare this measurement with the width sizes recommended below. It’s best to go for a bed with an additional 5 inches of space.
Here is an average list of dog bed sizes and some common breeds that you will find useful. Use this list as a guide to help you narrow the search for the best dog bed to suit your needs.
Large (49″ x 31″ x 6.9″). Suitable for dog breeds like Pitbulls, Huskies, Boxers, and Labradors
Extra Large (53″ x 6.2″ x 7.1″). Suitable for dog breeds like the mastiff, german shepherds, and Dobermans
Giant XXL (61″ x 49″ x 7.1″). Ideal for large dog breeds such as Saint Bernards
Here are some other features to consider when buying a good orthopedic dog bed:
- Machine washable and removable covers: Dogs aren’t always savvy, so it’s your role to keep things clean. Go for dog beds that feature removable covers.
- Odor absorbing: A good dog bed has a pro-charcoal base that provides benefits like odor absorption. This ensures your dog’s bed stays clean and fresh.
- Orthopedic design features: Consider going for dog beds with a specific focus on physical issues that dogs face. A good example is to go for a big orthopedic foam that reduces pressure points by providing even pet weight distribution.
- Durability: Ensure you evaluate your preferred dog bed brand for the material construction. The best type should offer longevity, without compromising on your pet’s comfort.
Our Favorite Orthopedic Dog Beds
There are plenty of orthopedic dog beds in the market, leaving you spoilt for choice. To make it easier for you, we’ve compiled a list of the finest.
Best Overall: Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
We start with the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed. It’s perfect for different breed dog sizes, including the XL, large, and giant XXL types. You will also be pleased to know this bed has a lovely design inspired by the University of Pennsylvania.
With this bed, your dog will enjoy benefits like reduced pain and improved mobility in less than one month. The bed comes with a 10-year warranty, an assurance of its high quality. It’s a handmade unit, so you are sure of exceptional attention to detail. The high-quality design also means that this bed is less prone to issues like “pancaking over time.”
- Suitable for different dog breed sizes, including the XXL, XL, and large types.
- Heavy-duty construction makes the bed less prone to flattening over time.
- It is easy to clean and suitable for machine-washing functions.
- The bed is soft to touch and looks perfect in a modern home setting.
- Cleaning stubborn stains on the cover might be difficult.
Best for Indoor Settings: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The next dog bed on our list is the Dog’s Ball’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Ped, courtesy of its sheer quality.
The bed features a waterproof design and XL poly linen grey material, which looks appealing and offers longevity. The linen has bolster sides that help improve the mattress’s stability on your dog’s bed.
Stability doesn’t end there with this orthopedic dog bed. There’s a solid two-inch high-density memory foam that provides optimal stability. It also has covered support foams for added comfort.
The orthopedic bed blends well with the items in your interior space. Moreover, its cover is easy to clean, making it perfect for dogs prone to drooling issues.
- Designed to provide relief for different physical conditions, like joint problems.
- Suitable for dogs that have minimal mobility and sleeping challenges.
- Its cover is easy to clean.
- Its slats are prone to damage after exposure to excessive dog traffic.
Best for Large Dogs: Furhaven Classic Mattress Dog Beds
The Furhaven Classic Mattress Dog Bed is another suitable addition to your list of the best dog beds. One reason is that it features a classic pet bed mattress design, offering optimal room for rest. With this bed, your pet will stretch out without any compromise on comfort.
The material construction is another feature that sets this dog mattress bed apart. The Furhaven brand has been benevolent enough to make your pets’ main sleeping surface comfortable. You won’t need any additional sheets or blankets for your dog—its cuddly, soft, dense, and plush faux fur bed material guarantees optimal comfort.
Diversity in designs is one of the additional benefits of owning this pet dog bed. Also, the bed is available in different variations of colors and sizes.
- Waterproof cover
- Available in varied designs and colors
- The bed cover is removable and machine-washable.
- Soft material construction offers improved comfort.
- Getting the cover on the bed can be challenging.
Best for Medium-Sized Dogs: K9 Ballistic Mattress Design
Aside from having one of the sleekest name tags on this list, the K9 Ballistic Mattress also provides various other unique benefits. It’s an open sleeping surface ideal for different dog breeds whose attention to detail is exceptional. One good example would be the gussets that provide improved support and stability to the bed. Thus, your pet gets to enjoy spending rest time on a bed that offers exceptional ergonomics. Durability and longevity are also guaranteed with the K9 Ballistics mattress.
It is scratch-resistant, waterproof, and suitable for uncontrollable pets. Its non-skid bottom ensures it remains in place regardless of the amount of movement on it. Moreover, cleaning and maintenance are simple tasks thanks to its removable cover.
- Its heavy-duty design offers longevity and stability.
- Removable cover.
- Available in different designs.
- The outer cover may produce annoying noises when your dog moves around.
Best for Comfort: Sealy Lux Quad Layer Orthopedic Dog Bed with Cooling Gel
Another top mention on our orthopedic dog bed reviews list is the Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed. With this bed, your pet has a secluded section for rest or sleep. It has a well-thought-out physical design that makes it an excellent addition to any interior space.
While this bed is appealing and comfortable, it’s also lightweight. So, moving it around the house or finding a place to store it should be easy.
The orthopedic material construction of the bed makes it ideal for various dog breeds. It features a layered foam material that guarantees optimal comfort and support. The bed can work well for dogs of all ages with arthritis, bone, or joint complications.
Clean-up will be easy, especially if you get an extra pair of bed covers for your pet. The Sealy Lux Quad Layer Dog Bed features an easily removable casing cover.
- It has a heavy-duty wooden and plastic structure that offers longevity.
- The bed is easy to maintain and clean.
- Its appealing design makes it perfect for most interior spaces.
- Odor absorbing.
- The bed could use a better color or theme combination.
Related: The 8 Best Cooling Dog Beds of 2022
Best for an Injured Dog: FurHaven NAP Ultra Plush Orthopedic Dog Bed
FurHaven is a standout brand when it comes to producing practical pet solutions, and the Furhaven NAP Ultra Plus is no exception. First, the FurHaven NAP stands out as the best orthopedic dog bed thanks to its high-quality material construction. Like its counterpart, the Furhaven Classic Mattress Dog Beds, you will be instantly impressed by the bed material.
Another standout feature of this bed is its deep, convoluted “egg crate” foam design. It’s perfect because the mattress helps distribute weight evenly and removes any pressure on the body parts. You will notice that it’s particularly beneficial for dogs with physical health complications. The unique material also provides temperature control benefits. So you know your pet will have a bed that is comfortable and warm for long periods of rest, regardless of the weather.
The thoughtful brand has also topped off the bed with a silky-soft fur material that improves your dog’s sleep quality.
- It comes with a silky, soft faux fur that is luxurious and looks appealing.
- It comes with a step-on design suitable for old or injured pets.
- Easy to clean.
- Relatively thin.
Best for Durability: Frisco Plush Orthopedic Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
Are you looking for a long-lasting and comfortable bed for your recently injured pet? The Frisco Plush Orthopedic Front Dog Bed with cover is excellent for your needs. It’s an ideal orthopedic pet sofa bed that offers various user benefits.
The bed is comfortable and secure thanks to the wrap-around bolster. Its plush poly-fill bolster is cozy, providing an excellent resting spot. The thoughtful design also extends to various other features. One good example is the plush center and three foam slabs, which are quite comfortable. There is a built-in entry dip that provides easy access to it.
Like most of the products mentioned on this list, cleaning up and maintaining bed hygiene are easy. This is attributed to the removable and replaceable dog bed cover.
- It features heavy-duty 3-inch foam for comfort.
- The unique entry point design offers easy access to the dog bed.
- The bed also features a plush fol fill bolster, perfect for different dog sizes.
- Not ideal for large dog breeds.
- It can be hectic to put its cover on.
Best Sofa Style Dog Bed- FurHaven Faux Fur & Suede Memory Foam Sofa Dog & Cat Bed
We cap off this best orthopedic beds for dogs list by mentioning the Furhaven Faux Fur Memory Foam Dog Bed. It offers a unique combination of design features that make it an excellent buy for your couch potato!
For instance, the FurHaven Faux is a sofa-style bed with a thoughtful design focusing on comfort and style. The bed comprises ultra-soft faux materials that are cozy and perfect for long hours of resting. Quality construction is also an essential priority for the Furhaven brand. Its mattress is sturdy and features a machine-washable fabric and zippered cover that is easy to remove.
The bed has a unique memory foam base, similar to what you find in a traditional orthopedic dog bed. It offers optimal support and soothes body parts like the joints.
- The sofa-style bed is ideal for different types of pets.
- It also has three comfortable bolster sides.
- The heavy-duty and machine-washable material is convenient.
- Comes with pillows to snuggle against.
- It can be difficult to move around as it is quite heavy.
Getting an orthopedic dog bed is a great idea, especially if your dog is injured or has an underlying medical condition. When shopping, it is advisable to review different products before purchasing one. Our compilation of the best products on the market will prove invaluable. Also, consider your dog’s breed, your personal preferences, and the quality to ensure you derive maximum benefits from it.