Can Dogs Drink Grape Juice?

Grape juice is flavorful and rich in vitamins A, B complex, C, and K, so no wonder it is a preferred drink by many. But can you share this delicious beverage with your furry friend too?

While some drinks are safe for canines, the answer to the common question, “can dogs eat grape juice?” is – no.

Can I Give My Dog Grape Juice?

Definitely no! Unlike homemade apple juice or Gatorade, which can be given to some dogs in moderation, grape juice is a definite no-no. The reason is that grapes and all products containing them or made from them are highly toxic to canines. These include grape juice, raisins, currants, and any desserts, drinks, or meals which contain grape-based ingredients.

So, you should keep your furbaby safely away from any types of grapes in your grapevine, home, or anywhere you go. This includes keeping the grape juice out of reach as well.

What Makes Grape Juice Poisonous For Dogs?

Interestingly, scientists still cannot pinpoint the exact reason for grapes’ toxicity to canines. Some experts believe that the mycotoxin or the salicylate in these fruits is the reason for the toxicity.

Mycotoxin is produced by mold or fungus, and salicylate is a drug similar to aspirin. Both are found in seedless and seeded grapes of all varieties and are believed to cause a decrease in the normal blood flow to the dog’s kidneys. This can lead to kidney failure, leading to a fatal end in severe cases of grape poisoning.

Are Peeled and Seedless Grapes Poisonous To Dogs Too?

While in some fruits, the seeds and the peels are the elements containing the toxic ingredients for canines, with grapes, this is not true. Apparently, a dog can suffer from grape toxicity even after eating enough seedless or peeled grapes as well.

This is why dog parents should refrain from giving their four-legged companions any type of grapes and grapes in any form.

Related: Fruits and Vegetables Dogs Can or Can’t Eat

Are All Pups Equally Susceptible To Grape Poisoning?

With other toxic fruits, foods, and substances, there is a correlation between the size of the pup and the risk of poisoning. But with grapes, this does not seem to be the case. This conclusion is based on the statistics from the animal poison control centers and veterinarians.

In other words, dogs of all sizes can be affected equally by grape poisoning from eating the same amount of these fruits.

There may be variations among individual dogs, but overall, it can be expected that a pup will suffer adverse effects if it eats grapes, raisins, currants, or drinks grape juice.

But to stay safe, you should keep your dog away from any grape-based foods and products altogether.

What Is The Amount of Grape Juice That Can Lead to Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

Research and statistics show that the lowest amount of grape juice that led to kidney failure recorded is only 0.3 ounces per pound of the pup’s body weight.

The minimal recorded toxic quantity of raisins is 0.05 ounces per pound.

This means that only 6 ounces of grape juice or one ounce of raisins can lead to disastrous effects for a dog that weighs 20 pounds.

What Are The Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning In Dogs?

While the symptoms of grape toxicity in canines can vary from one case to another, the most common ones which dog owners can expect include vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite, and diarrhea during the first 24 hours after the ingestion.

The more severe side effects in the cases of acute kidney damage or failure usually appear later, after 24-48 hours. These are a lack of appetite, excessive thirst and urination, abdominal pain, ammonia-smelling breath, and diarrhea.

If actual kidney failure occurs, the pup will stop being able to produce any urine, and its blood pressure will increase. Due to the inability of the kidneys to flush out the toxins from the blood, the dog may lapse into a coma, and then the prognosis is bad.

Here are the symptoms to look for if your pup has eaten grapes or drank grape juice, listed from mild to severe:

  • Vomiting
  • A loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Increase thirst and urination
  • Bad breath – ammonia breath
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Inability to produce urine
  • Shock
  • Loss of consciousness and coma
  • Death

In cases of grape poisoning, every second counts, so you should call your veterinarian immediately for instructions on how to proceed.

The earlier your dog is treated, the greater the chances are of a full recovery.

Can My Dog Die From Drinking Grape Juice?

The answer to this question is – unfortunately, yes. The prognosis, of course, depends on numerous factors, such as the quantity of grape juice consumed, the age and health of your furbaby, and whether it gets immediate treatment or not.

If kidney failure occurs and the dog cannot produce urine, the prognosis is usually very poor, and death is highly likely.

Help! My Pup Drank Some Grape Juice – What Should I Do?

First, remove any remaining grape juice, grapes, raisins, or others away from the dog, and call your vet or an emergency animal control or pet poison hotline immediately!

Describe the symptoms and answer the questions that the veterinarian or toxicologist asks.

You will receive instructions on what to do next.

You will most likely need to take the pup to the clinic for emergency treatment immediately.

The veterinarian will perform a physical exam, run blood and urine tests, and then prescribe the best treatment. Usually, the vet will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to help flush away as much of the toxins from the dog’s body and prevent their further absorption.

Your dog may be hospitalized and given an aggressive IV fluid treatment to prevent dehydration. Drugs that reduce nausea and vomiting, regulate blood pressure, and keep oxygen and nutrients flowing to the kidneys can also be given to the dog.

Your pup will likely need to stay for monitoring and IV fluid therapy and treatment for at least 48 hours following the ingestion of the grape juice, grapes, or raisins.

After the first emergency decontamination, your pet will likely have additional blood and urine tests to assess the severity of kidney damage and the likelihood of a full recovery.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts