Can Dogs Eat Grape Leaves?

Grapes are known not to be dog friendly; thus, most dog owners avoid offering them to their pets as a treat or snack. If grapes are not safe for dog consumption, what about grape leaves?

To keep your dog safe from toxins, you should avoid anything to do with grapes – that includes grape leaves.

Why are Grape Leaves Toxic?

There are several reasons why grape leaves are toxic to dogs. They include:

Insecticides and Pesticides

They keep harmful pests and insects away from the grape plant. Pests and insects mainly feed on the plant leaves; consequently, farmers spray a generous amount of insecticides and pesticides to keep them away. The chemical compounds used in making pesticides can be toxic to dogs when the leaves are ingested in large amounts.

Gastrointestinal Issues

Just like grapes, the grape leaves can cause issues such as vomiting and diarrhea. Your dog will probably not be in danger if they only eat a small amount of grape leaves. However, if you have a small dog breed or a puppy, they might be at risk of developing gastrointestinal issues.

A dog’s digestive system is not designed to handle a leafy green diet, especially if the vegetable is toxic to them as grape leaves are. Contact your vet immediately if your dog shows signs of diarrhea and vomiting after eating grape leaves.


It is a common symptom associated with dogs that eat grape leaves. Signs of lethargy include losing interest in normal activities or if they seem lazy and inactive.

Lethargy in dogs that ate grapes can last from a few hours to days. It is dangerous for canines, and they should get medical care as soon as possible.

Related: Why Does My Dog Eat Leaves?

Intestinal Blockage

Besides gastrointestinal problems, when consumed in large amounts, grape leaves can block a dog’s digestive tract. The symptoms you might notice include vomiting, abdominal pain, and difficulty in breathing. To safeguard your dog from digestive tract blockage, you should monitor everything they eat.

Loss of Appetite

Most dogs that eat grape leaves tend to change their eating habits. Your dog can start losing interest in foods that they regularly eat or in their regular activities.

Cyanide Poisoning

Grape leaves contain cyanide, a harmful compound to dogs. The symptoms of cyanide poisoning in canines can be fatal if ingested in large amounts. To avoid this, you should keep meals prepared with grape leaves far away from your pup.

Related: Plants Poisonous To Dogs

Final Thought

Dogs do not derive any health benefits from eating grape leaves. Instead, the risks associated with grape leaves are too high and put your pup in danger. Keep him away from grape leaves to prevent him from falling ill or getting poisoned.

Similar Posts