Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

Our canine friends are part of our families. Most of the foods and fruits that we eat, we feel like sharing with them to show love and appreciation.

When shopping for a treat for your dog, you might have asked yourself, ‘can dogs eat gummy bears?’

Are Gummy Bears Safe For Dogs?

Gummy bears are small fruity candies that we enjoy eating occasionally. While the gummies are delicious candies for humans, they are not meant for dogs. They should not be shared with dogs, especially if you have a puppy, as the result of them eating the candy may be tragic.

Regular store-bought gummy bears are prepared using plenty of sugars and flavors. While sugar is not immediately life-threatening to a dog, it may build up health problems when taken in large amounts.

There are sugar-free branded varieties of gummy bears, which seem like a better alternative to giving to your dog. These gummy bears are usually sweetened with an artificial component known as xylitol. This chemical compound is highly toxic and life-threatening when eaten by dogs.

Why Gummy Bears are Bad for Your Dog

As mentioned earlier, the significant component of the gummy bear is sugar. While sugar is relatively safe when consumed in small amounts by a dog, it will likely cause gastroenteritis.

Dogs with gastroenteritis can experience vomiting and diarrhea. In worst cases, dogs can have severe stomach upset leading to dehydration, and this will require hospitalization.

Too much sugar can also lead to obesity and diabetes. These conditions may not kill your pet right away but will shorten their life.

Here are other reasons why gummy bears are bad for your dog.

Choking Hazard

Before the sugary treat gets into the tummy of your furry friend to be absorbed, there is a probability that your dog will choke on it. The candy can get stuck in your dog’s throat, especially if your pet is still small.


To replace sugar in the manufacturing process, some companies use an artificial sweetener that contains xylitol. The chemical compound has an extreme reaction in dogs when ingested even in small quantities and can lead to death.

When a dog’s body absorbs xylitol, there will be a counter-reaction where insulin is released to remove excess sugar from the blood. When excessive insulin is released, it will cause a condition known as hypoglycemia which can be life-threatening.

Xylitol poisoning in dogs will begin about 30 minutes after ingesting the harmful chemical compound. Your dog can exhibit symptoms such as tremors, vomiting, and general body weakness. If you notice such, visit a vet immediately.

What to do if Your Dog Eats Gummy Bears?


If your dog eats gummy bears by any chance, it is crucial not to panic. If the amount of candy your dog consumed is small, nothing will happen to them. When your dog eats too many gummies, lookout for signs of a stomach upset. If the dog develops vomiting and diarrhea issues, rush them to the vet.

Related: Can Dogs Eat Food Coloring? Is Food Coloring Safe for Dogs

Can I Make Gummies for My Dog?

Since it is not recommended to feed store-bought gummy bears to your dog, there is a recipe that you can prepare at home. The candies you prepare from this recipe will be safe for your dog to eat as a treat but should be done in moderation. When making gummies for your dog, ensure that the ingredients in the recipe add nutritional value to your pet.



  1. Chop your strawberries into tiny pieces and set them aside.
  2. Put half of your broth into a saucepan and add parsley.
  3. Place the saucepan on moderate heat and add beet into it.
  4. Once it boils, take it off the heat source.
  5. Add gelatin to the remaining broth to be absorbed
  6. Mix the ingredients and place them into molds
  7. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours
  8. Once they are set, you can now give the gummies to your dog.


Though gummy bears are a sweet candy that we get to enjoy occasionally, you should not share them with your furry friend. The candy contains toxic ingredients and offers no health benefits to your dog. If you have gummy bears in your house, it is best to store them in unreachable places to protect your dog.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts