Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

A single lick from your lollipop or gobbling up one candy will rarely cause serious adverse effects in dogs. But what if your human baby decided to share its entire lollipop with your furbaby?

The short answer to the question of whether dogs can and should eat lollipops is no.

This is so for any other type of candy and for many other human foods we love but are harmful and even dangerous for our four-legged companions.

Read on to learn more about why you should avoid giving your pup any lollipops or other candies.

So, Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

There are many reasons why you should not give your dog lollipops. The first is that it is candy on a stick and is in no way nutritious or healthy for your pup. Candies contain a lot of sugar and syrup, which, when consumed in excess, can lead to various health issues in canines, such as diabetes, tooth and gum problems, obesity, mobility, joint problems, and heart disease.

Another reason you should keep lollipops away from your furry friend is that they contain other ingredients, such as citric and malic acids, which can cause adverse effects in dogs.

The third reason is that lollipops with and without the wrapper and stick can pose a serious choking hazard, especially in smaller-sized dogs. They can lead to blockages and damage to the gastrointestinal tracts if swallowed as well.

Related: My Dog Ate Plastic. What Should I Do?

Last but not least, some sugar-free lollipops contain the artificial sweetener, Xylitol, which is highly toxic and can be deadly for dogs.

Xylitol can cause a sudden release of excess insulin in the dog’s body. This can cause hypoglycemia (a drop in blood sugar levels.) The condition can quickly become life-threatening if you do not take your pup to the vet for treatment immediately.

These are the main reasons you should store candies and lollipops safely out of reach from your pet and teach your children never to share their own food with your pet.

The good news is that if your furbaby has just a lick or a piece of the lollipop, it will probably be fine. There may be some mild symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea, which will naturally go away within 24 hours of the ingestion.

Final Words

Canines should not eat any candies, lollipops, or other sugary foods. Sugar is not a natural part of the dog’s diet, and a lot of processed sugar can lead to obesity and other health problems.

Obesity has been proven to shorten the lifespan of dogs by about 2-2.5 years, so it would be best if you avoided treating your pup to any type of sugar. Instead, you can opt for some healthy treats such as carrots or celery sticks, peeled and deseeded apples, watermelon, squash, and others.

Plus, when swallowed whole or with the wrapper and stick, lollipops can cause choking and obstruction, which are also life-threatening conditions.

Last but not least, the lollipops or other sweets containing the artificial sweetener Xylitol can be toxic and deadly for canines. So, if you suspect your furry companion has ingested Xylitol, you should immediately call the pet poisoning hotline or your vet!

Similar Posts