Can Dogs Eat Prunes?

Most of us have had prunes to beat occasional constipation at one point in our lives. Prunes are dried plums that may come with or without the stone. They are primarily rich in fiber and pack other nutrients like vitamins and minerals. Many nutritionists recommend a serving of prunes once in a while.

Can I feed prunes to my dogs? Many people have this query, seeing that dogs will always want to have a share of what we put into our mouths. We will answer this query by looking at the relationship between dogs and this fruit.

Can My Dog Eat Prunes?

Many dog handling professionals advise you not to feed prunes to your dogs. They can bring about digestion issues, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. The problem can be worse if you are dealing with the pitted ones.

Pits have traces of cyanide, which can be toxic to your dog. Additionally, they present a choking hazard due to their large size.

Are Prunes Toxic to Dogs?

Prunes without the pit are not toxic to dogs. They are, therefore, safe for your dog.

Pits, leaves, and branches have traces of cyanide, which is harmful to canines.

The dog has to chew the seed to release cyanide, which is hard due to a hard shell. This means that it will swallow the pit, which can cause choking or blockage of the digestive tract.

Signs of cyanide poisoning in dogs include convulsions, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, and excessive salivation. If ingested in large amounts, your fuzzy friend risks paralysis. Be aware of these symptoms if your dog has eaten prunes.

Prunes have a high sugar content, another reason to avoid giving them to your pup. Too much sugar puts your pet at risk of obesity, diabetes, and sugar addiction. After consuming some prunes, it may start acting restless due to the energy surge from sugar.

My Dog Ate Prunes. What Should I Do?


Should your dog eat prunes, you do not have to panic. A handful of prunes without the pit are not harmful to your dog. They actually have several health benefits.

Older dogs, help relieve constipation, which is pretty common. Moreover, prunes are rich in antioxidants, which deal with free radicals that can cause conditions like cancer.

If your pet has had a lot of dried fruit, you need to keep watch. Look out for signs like restlessness, vomiting, and diarrhea. A handful of prunes will not cause any issues and reactions, and if any, they only last for a few hours.

At times, your pet may overreact. In such a scenario, it is wise to contact your vet. Furthermore, be careful if your fuzzy friend has diabetes, as the fruits can cause a blood sugar spike.

Why are Prune Pits Dangerous?

The stone in prunes is toxic due to its cyanide content. It is a compound that is also harmful to humans. The pit has a hard shell, and your dog needs to bite through it to get to the cyanide content.

When ingested, cyanide can inhibit oxygen utilization by cells. This may lead to suffocation and, in severe instances, death.

My Dog Ate Prune Pits: What Should I Do?

Prune pits have cyanide, which, as earlier mentioned, is toxic to dogs. When your dog eats the pit, the logical solution is to contact your vet. Some dogs may be tolerant to the toxins, while others are not. You should not wait to confirm their tolerance; reach out to the veterinarian immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I Give Prunes to a Dog with Constipation?

Prunes are the go-to remedy for indigestion and constipation due to their high fiber content. If your dog has any of these problems, you can give it a single prune without the pit to ease bowel movement.

Will My Dog Get Cyanide Poisoning from Eating Prunes?

Not every part of a prune has traces of cyanide. Only the pits, branches, and leaves have these toxic substances. If your dog did not eat any of these parts, there is no need to worry.

Can I Give My Dogs Prune Juice?

Prune juice is high in fructose, and dogs’ digestive systems can have a hard time processing it. While it may help with constipation, its cons outweigh the pros. The juice may cause teeth problems or a blood sugar spike due to its high sugar content.

Final Remarks

Prunes are a crucial part of our diet, mainly providing fiber that aids in digestion. You should not give your dog prunes, though it is unnecessary to worry if it grabs a bite or two. If you decide to provide it with prunes, restrict the serving to maybe a piece without the pit.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts