Can Dogs Eat Raisin Bran?

Raisin bran is the go-to breakfast for most of us, seeing how nutritious and filling it is. You can have it with yogurt and honey or throw in some fruit slices to enhance its nutrient value.

If you have a dog, you may want to know if it can eat raisin bran. No, your dog should not eat raisin bran, as raisins are toxic to dogs. While you may want to be generous with your furry friend, you won’t be doing it any favors by giving it raisin bran.

What Makes Raisin Bran Bad for Dogs?

As earlier hinted, the raisin part is what is bad for dogs, meaning dogs can eat bran with the raisins removed.

What is it with raisins and dogs? For a long time, scientists did not know why grapes and raisins brought problems to canines. A recent scientific breakthrough points the finger at the tartaric acid in grapes.

The quantity of tartaric acid varies depending on the type, environment, and farming. It explains why some dogs are tolerant of grapes and raisins while others do not fare well.

What Should I Do If My Dog Accidentally Ate Raisin Bran?

You should visit your veterinarian immediately after realizing your dog ate raisins. Do not try to induce vomiting, as you may worsen the situation.

Keep calm and keep the remaining toxic food away from your canine. The following are some signs of raisin toxicity in dogs.

Final Word

While a bowl of raisin bran will give us an energy boost to start the day, your dog should never have a bite. Dogs react badly to raisins, and the situation may go overboard if not addressed immediately. Keep away raisins from your canine or give it plain bran, which is healthy.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts