Can Dogs Have Cloves?

All pet parents want to ensure that their furry friend stays healthy and happy. Although cloves are not as harmful as other substances, they are also not completely safe. Let’s find out why you should restrict your dog from this spice.

Many herbs and spices with health benefits for humans can also benefit pets. This is why it is important to find out which herbs and spices are safe for pets to eat.

Canines can benefit from certain herbs, spices, and condiments that have minimal side effects, such as peppermint, ginger, coriander, and cardamom.

Although small quantities of cloves are safe for dogs, large amounts can prove fatal. Cloves are moderately toxic for dogs because they contain an ingredient called eugenol.

It’s essential to watch out for symptoms and get help from a veterinarian if your dog consumes cloves. Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea are all signs of trouble.

Are Cloves A Good Idea For Your Dog?

There is no clear answer to the question, “Can dogs eat cloves?” Many veterinarians think that giving clove-flavored food to pets can be harmful. Eugenol is a compound found in cloves and adversely affects cats’ livers.

The possibility that your dog may also suffer from the same problem is possible. Researches and studies have shown that cloves may not cause severe or pronounced side effects in dogs. However, many veterinarians recommend adding some cloves to your dog’s diet but only in small quantities.

When it comes to the correct dosage of cloves, you might accidentally cross the threshold that distinguishes the toxic dose from the ideal. It is important to recognize that certain breeds may be more sensitive to certain spices than others.

No matter what your veterinarian says, it would be best if you did not feed cloves to your dog.

Cloves For Dogs: Side Effects And Benefits


Humans can benefit from cloves, whether they use them as garnishing or raw. However, nutritionists, veterinarians, and dieticians are still unsure how cloves could benefit canines.

Here are the potential benefits of adding cloves to your pet’s food:

  • Immune system boosting
  • Aids indigestion
  • Helps freshen breath

Cloves contain compounds such as eugenol and rhamnetin that have antiviral and antibacterial properties. These compounds can be used to treat and prevent infection.

It is important to avoid over-dosing cloves to minimize side effects. Excessive clove consumption can cause liver toxicities, irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and even death.

In extreme cases, overdosing can cause liver dysfunction and dyspnea.

You should never give an adult dog more than three drops of clove oil per 24 hours, and it is better not to give cloves to puppies in any form.

Related: Can Dogs Eat Spicy Food?

Cloves – Are They Toxic To Dogs?

We have already mentioned that dogs can eat minimal amounts of cloves with no side effects. But that doesn’t mean cloves aren’t toxic for dogs.

Consuming large quantities of Eugenol (one of the primary compounds in cloves) can cause severe allergic reactions in most mammals. Eugenol, which can be difficult for the liver or kidneys to process, can cause serious health problems in humans.

If taken in large quantities, cloves can be toxic to dogs. Dogs can be poisoned by as little as 2.5 mg (.04 grains) per kilogram of body weight. But, 5mg per kilogram of body weight or more can cause death.

Many recipes that use cloves require very little. These tiny pieces of powdered or dried cloves can cause severe allergic reactions in small dogs.

A half-teaspoon of cloves amounts to approximately 1,000mg (15.4 grain) and could be enough to kill up to ten 100-lb dogs (45 kg).

Pet parents need to be careful when handling cloves. A few drops of a teaspoon or a handful of buds can cause serious illness in your dog.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Cloves?

It’s important not to panic if your dog has been eating cloves or food containing cloves. Your dog will pick up on your panic and feel anxious or stressed if you start to panic.

Your dog may be fine depending on their size and how many cloves they have eaten. Even a small amount of powdered or dried cloves may cause vomiting, seizures or even death. You must be vigilant for any signs of poisoning.

You should immediately seek emergency veterinary attention if your dog has consumed many cloves. The key to successful recovery from poisoning is quick action. Your pup’s chances of survival are better if they are seen quickly by a veterinarian.

You may not be able to see how much your dog ate, or if they only ate a small amount of an ingredient that contains cloves. Your dog might have eaten a small amount of Worcestershire sauce or a piece of pumpkin pie. The cloves, in this instance, are diluted with other ingredients.

It might be best to wait until you have trouble diagnosing the problem. Emergency visits to the vet can be expensive and stressful.

To avoid unnecessary emergency visits to the vet hospital, you must become familiar with the signs and symptoms of dog poisoning.

How To Spot Signs Of Dog Poisoning?

Your dog’s safety is as important as making sure your home is safe for toddlers. It is important to ensure your dog cannot access chemicals stored in cupboards.

Accidents can happen, and sometimes your dog might ingest something toxic. When this happens, it is essential to recognize the signs and symptoms of poisoning. You can save your pup’s life by seeking immediate medical attention after accidental poisoning.

Here are the most common symptoms of poisoning in dogs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Seizures
  • Lethargy
  • Pale Gums or Yellow Gums
  • Appetite loss

Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog may have consumed toxic substances. Your veterinarian may also recommend that you provide water for your dog. Remember that it’s important not to force your dog to drink.

Water can be used to flush out toxins in some cases and is a good option if dogs have only eaten a small amount of partially toxic substances. For example, a pup who has eaten a few dried cloves might be okay with some water and rest.

If your dog has taken in a lot of toxic substances or is showing any symptoms, veterinary attention is urgently required. Your veterinarian might induce vomiting in some cases to prevent the toxic substances from spreading to your dog’s liver and kidneys.

You should contact emergency services if you cannot schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. Your dog is less likely to suffer long-term poisoning if you act quickly.


We can conclude that cloves as a type of spice are safe for dogs but only when they are given in very small amounts. Clove essential oil and clove-rich dishes can cause poisoning.

You should immediately contact your veterinarian if your dog has eaten a lot of clove essential oil or dried cloves.

It would be best to keep an eye out for signs of poisoning in your dog.

Preventing future accidents by ensuring you don’t leave clove-based foods out on the counter is another way to avoid them.

Further Reading:

Similar Posts