There are numerous health benefits that humans can get from drinking wine. You might want to share the nutritional benefits of your meals and drinks with your furry friend, but is wine safe for them? Do dogs get the same nutritional benefits as humans get from wine?
This article will answer such questions and discuss more about wine concerning dogs.
Is Wine Safe For Dogs?
Wine is not a dog-friendly drink. Dogs should not consume any alcoholic beverage for the sake of their health. Your dog having wine can lead to alcohol poisoning. Though the primary ingredient in wine manufacturing is grapes which seem like healthy fruits, the fermented version of the fruits is more toxic than the former.
Not all alcoholic beverages have the same alcohol concentration. Though your canine can get away with no symptoms of alcohol poisoning after drinking lite beer, wine has more concentration exposing your dog to more toxicity and making your dog susceptible to liver damage and kidney failure.
It is important to note that both red and white wine have the same adverse effects on dogs.
Do Dogs Like Wine?
Your dog can show curiosity towards any food or drink you consume. That type of curiosity can be costly since it may lead to consuming foods and drinks that are not dog-friendly.
Most dogs find the taste and smell of wine repulsive, but to the few that might find it attractive, drinking it can be bad for their health.
What Happens When A Dog Drinks Wine?
Grapes are highly toxic fruits to dogs. Feeding your dog any grape-based food or drink is, therefore, a terrible idea.
Compared to humans, dogs’ alcohol tolerance is very low. Your dog can manifest different health issues after drinking wine. They include:
Can Dogs Get Alcohol Intoxication From Wine?
A dog will show signs of intoxication through various signs and symptoms. It is critical to note that your dog might not know they are intoxicated and might consume more wine, leading to self-inflicted injuries and aggression.
Signs that your dog has wine intoxication include:
- Uncontrolled barking
- Increased drooling
What to Do If A Dog Drinks Wine
Any alcohol consumption by dogs should be treated as an emergency. You should contact the nearest vet clinic so that they can prepare for your arrival and give you tips on the type of first aid you can administer.
At the vet clinic, depending on the severity of your dog’s condition, different actions are taken. Giving your dog activated charcoal to absorb the wine is one of the many treatment procedures for alcohol poisoning that can be implemented.
The vet might opt to admit your dog for further tests and observation depending on their health condition and level of alcohol exposure.
The recovery time will depend on the amount consumed. Wine can affect a dog’s neural, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, making the recovery period longer than expected.
If your dog’s exposure to wine was mild, it might only take a few hours for it to fully recover.
Can Wine Kill A Dog?
Though death might not occur instantly after wine consumption, the side effects of alcohol poisoning can lead to their demise. As per the American Kennel Club, the lethal dose for alcohol in canines is between 5.5 and 7.9 grams of pure ethanol.
How to Stop A Dog from Drinking Wine
The most effective way to avoid any consumption of wine by your dog is by keeping it out of reach.
Sometimes, your wine can be secure, but your dog will still find ways to have a taste – perhaps through spills. If you have a wine spill on the floor, ensure that you immediately clean it up and ensure your canine friend keeps away until you are done.
Can Dogs Eat Foods Cooked With Wine?
Cooking food with wine as an ingredient adds flavor to the meal you are preparing. Though wine mostly evaporates during cooking, the trace amount of wine that remains is hard to process by a dog’s liver.
Even if your dog does not show signs of alcohol poisoning after eating a meal cooked with wine, there can be long-term adverse effects when this goes on regularly. If you prepare any food with wine, make sure your dog does not eat any of it.
It might be tempting to share most of your food and drinks with your furry friend, but wine should not be on that list. Prevention is better than treatment when it comes to alcohol poisoning in dogs.
Your dog only takes about half an hour to absorb wine after drinking. The damage that can occur to your dog’s health can change its quality of life.