You know how frustrating it can be if you’ve ever had a bad case of nerves. You may feel on edge, have trouble sleeping, or find it hard to concentrate. Now imagine how your pup feels when they experience anxiety. Fearful events such as thunderstorms, visiting the vet, or changes in routine can cause your dog to feel anxious.
Thankfully, there is a natural way to help ease your dog’s anxiety. Valerian root for dogs is a supplement that is effective in reducing anxiety. It works by connecting with receptors in the brain responsible for feelings of calmness and relaxation.
It is often recommended by integrative veterinarians and can be found at most pet stores. It comes in an easily digestible capsule form and can be given to your pup directly or added to their food. So if you’re looking for a safe and effective way to help your anxious dog, consider giving this herb a try. It provides natural anxiety relief to furry friends.
Because it relieves tension and anxiety, supplementing your dog’s diet with this herb may make him feel more at ease. So, how can it help your dog live a happier life? How does it work?
What is Valerian Root?
It comes from the Valerian Officinalis plant, cultivated in North America, China, and a few other countries. This substance can be consumed in various forms, including tablets, capsules, liquid (tincture), and tea.
This calming herb has been growing in popularity for humans and dogs. In addition, its sedative qualities are thought to reduce stress in dogs, making it a popular natural remedy for canine anxiety.
However, if you’re thinking of feeding it to your pup, be sure to get it in a form that is specifically designed for dogs. This will guarantee that your dog receives the correct dosage and avoids adverse side effects. Nevertheless, it may be worth investigating if you want to utilize a natural method to relax your distressed dog.
Benefits of Valerian Root for Dogs
It is an all-natural way to help your dog relax and feel less anxious. This supplement effectively reduces anxiety in dogs of all ages, sizes, and breeds. In addition, it can be given to dogs experiencing mild to moderate anxiety or fear.
The following are ways in which it can be used to effectively ease anxiety in dogs:
- Reduces Anxiety – One of the most common uses for this herb is to reduce anxiety. This supplement works by interacting with receptors in the brain responsible for feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Eases Fearfulness – If your dog is fearful of thunderstorms, vet visits, or other changes in its routine, this herb may help to alleviate its fears.
- Helps with Separation Anxiety – Dogs who suffer from separation anxiety often have difficulty relaxing when their owners are away. Valerian root can help to ease these feelings of anxiety.
- Calms Nervous Dogs – Dogs that are naturally high-strung or easily excited may benefit from valerian root. This supplement can help to calm nerves and ease anxiety.
- Promotes Restful Sleep – It is often referred to as “nature’s Valium” because it has soothing properties that can help to promote restful sleep.
- Safe for Long-Term Use – It is safe for long-term use and has no adverse side effects, making it a safe option for dogs who suffer from chronic anxiety.
- Non-Addictive – This herb is non-addictive and will not cause your dog to become dependent on it. This makes it a safe option for long-term anxiety relief.
- All-Natural Supplement – Valerian root is an all-natural supplement that is gentle and effective. This makes it a safe option for dogs who are sensitive to medications.
It has been shown in animal research to reduce the occurrence and intensity of epileptic fits. However, it’s critical that you talk with your veterinarian before altering or adding to your dog’s medication in any way to avoid negative repercussions.
Though not guaranteed, it may assist your pup with anxiety, insomnia, or hyperactivity. However, if your dog’s issues are severe and life-disrupting, additional measures such as behavioral therapies or prescription of anxiety medications in addition to modifying their environment may be necessary.
How to Administer Valerian Root to Your Dog
It comes in a variety of forms for dogs. Some pet owners give dried versions of the component, while others administer tinctures, which are liquid extracts of the plant. These alternatives provide pure valerian root and other beneficial components you don’t have to worry about when giving your dog this root extract.
You can get valerian root in pill, powder, or chewable forms. They are likely to work, although chews are the most popular option for picky eaters. Dogs won’t realize that they’re eating healthy if you give them a chew as a treat. You may need to develop strategies to hide the supplement in another meal with any other type of preparation.
A less common option for valerian root is essential oils. You can use the oils by applying them on your dog’s back, similar to how you apply a flea preventative. While it’s not clear if this method works as well as giving your dog edible options, it’s another choice for dogs who don’t like taking pills or supplements.
If you’re unsure, always consult your vet to get their professional opinion on which form of this herb will be best for your dog. The answer may depend on additional factors such as your dog’s age, weight, and previous medical conditions.
Valerian root for dogs is a safe, all-natural supplement that has been shown to reduce anxiety and promote restful sleep. This supplement is available in various forms, making it easy to administer to your dog.
If you are considering using it for your furry friend, consult your veterinarian to ensure it is the right option for your pet. While valerian root is generally safe and effective, it’s important to remember that what works well for one dog might not work well for another.
If your dog takes any medications, contact its veterinarian first and start with a lower dose of valerian root. Additionally, behavior modification may be necessary to address the underlying cause of anxiety. However, for many dogs, valerian root offers a gentle and effective way to reduce stress and promote a good night’s sleep.