Does your local council have strict requirements regarding the type of fence you can put up around your house? Or does your dog keep digging or jumping through your fence?
With a good quality wireless dog fence like our favorite one for 2022 – the Garmin Alpha 110 TT you can easily and affordably keep your dog within the safe perimeter you have set for it around your home or anywhere you decide to go with your four-legged friend.
A wireless dog fence is much more affordable and easy to set up and use than building an actual physical fence and will ensure that your dog stays nearby and is safe from running away and getting lost or getting run over by a car.
Our experts have tested most of the available wireless dog fences – fully wireless and some of the hybrid ones, and have come up with the ultimate top picks for the best wireless dog fences for 2022.
The list has options for dogs of all sizes, breeds, and characters and will enable you to keep any kind of dog safe and contained in the safety zone, no matter how stubborn or timid it is.
Read on to find out more about these excellent products so that you can choose the best one to suit your specific needs and type of dog.
The best completely wireless dog fences for 2022
If you enjoy camping and spending time traveling or outside with your dog, this Stay And Play wireless dog fence by PetSafe can help you set a safety zone easily and wherever you go so that you know that your four-legged pal is safely contained in its play yard.
Features to look forward to:
- The wireless dog fence system is available in different bundles, including sets for 1 or up to 5 dogs, as well as for larger and more stubborn dogs
- The portable transmitter weighs just 4.2 lbs. and it is very compact, so you can take it with you wherever you go
- The dog fence has coverage of ¾ acres or a radius of up to 105 feet
- The collar receiver is rechargeable and can be fully charged for only 2 to 3 hours
- The collars have been designed to provide extra comfort for the dogs
- The wireless dog fence uses either tone-only or static correction recall to keep the dog within the boundaries you have set
- The static correction is adjustable from level 1 up to level 5
- The collar will fit dogs that weigh 5 lbs. or more and dogs that have a neck size of 6-23 inches
- Nearly all parts of the wireless dog fence system are waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about the weather outdoors damaging them or hurting the dog
This is the most reliable and versatile fully wireless GPS dog fence we have tested so far this year. For years Garmin has been the leader in GPS technologies, so it is no surprise that their premium dog GPS – the Alpha 100TT, is the best one on the market for 2022.
The feature which we liked the most and which you will surely appreciate is the fact that the system is completely mobile and portable, so you can use it to keep your dogs contained within the safety zone around your home, as well as to keep them within the perimeter you have set up for them when you are outdoors walking, hiking, hunting, camping or other.
Also, the GPS can be used not only to keep the dog within a particular safety zone but also to locate it in real-time, as well as to send recall signals and train it on the go.
The Garmin Alpha TT is fitted with the highly efficient Tri-Tronics dog training technology. You can use it to track, constrain and train up to 20 dogs.
The training technology allows you to send tonal, vibrating, or stimulation signals to each dog separately. The stimulation signal can be continuous or momentary, and its strength can be adjusted from 1 to 18, so you can set it to the most appropriate level for your specific dog. Larger and stubborn dogs may need stronger stimulation, while smaller and timider dogs can do with a lower level of stimulation, and even only with the tone or vibration signal you send them once they learn to respond to them.
The handheld remote has a large color display, so you can get a clear view of the map surrounding you and pinpoint each dog’s location whenever you want to.
You will get a precise map of any area you decide to visit with your dog, thanks to the preloaded free TOPO U.S. 100k maps.
The tracking system and the wireless dog fence work via GPS and GLONASS satellite systems for navigation and tracking, so you will get a very accurate location for your dog at all times, no matter where you are.
The range of the device is up to 9 miles, and you can set up a safety perimeter for the dog very easily via the 3-inch touchscreen TFT display on the handheld remote.
If the dog crosses the virtual boundaries you have set, you will receive an immediate alert, and the remote will automatically transmit a recall signal to the dog’s collar. As mentioned previously, you can set up the automated recall alert to tone, vibration, or one of the 18 levels of continuous or momentary stimulation, depending on your preferences and your dog type.
This particular bundle includes the handheld remote and a TT 15 dog collar. If you want to use it for more than one dog, you must purchase additional TT15 dog collars separately.
The system works in real-time, and you will be able to get updates on the location and status of the dog every 5 seconds.
The Alpha 100 TT15 system also has additional useful features, including logging the dog’s distance, route, and speed. The TT15 collar has a 1-inch wide strap and can be used with either a regular 5-inch or an extended 13-inch antenna.
If you prefer, you can set up the tracking system on your computer or another device.
Overall, this is one of the most efficient and reliable wireless dog fences, training, and tracking systems available on the market.
With a GPS like this, you can rest assured that you know where your dog is at any given moment and recall it whenever you need to. The system will send automatic recall signals to the dog as soon as it decides to leave the safety zone you have set, so you don’t have to worry about it wandering off before you find out that it has crossed the virtual boundaries set by you.
The second best
The Standard grade Extreme dog fence is less expensive than the abovementioned professional one. Still, it is a very reliable hybrid wireless dog fence that will keep your outdoor area fence-free and your dog within its boundaries.
Features to look forward to:
- The system is available for 1, and for up to 5 dogs, but in reality, it can be expanded to an unlimited number of dogs
- The fence is sold with standard grade wiring starting from 1000 feet up to 2500 feet
- The dog collar is waterproof and can be submerged in up to 10 feet of water
- The receiver on the dog collar weighs a mere 1.1 oz., so it can be used by dogs of all sizes, weighing 8 lbs. or more
- The bundle includes the digital transmitter, the collar receiver(s), batteries, the wiring, training flags, spices and medium and large steel contact points for the collars as well as rubber covers for added comfort
- The transmitter can cover a large area of up to 25 acres
- The wiring is 20 gauge high tensile and is coated with a protective jacket, so it can be buried safely
- The Wire Check technology will automatically enhance the transmission signal if a problem in part of the wiring is detected
- The Temp Check sensor will keep the system working even when sudden changes in the ambient temperature are detected
- The 12x Battery Check will scan and monitor the status of each of the batteries on the dog’s collars every 2 hours
- The frequency can be adjusted, so as not to interfere with other signals nearby
- The wireless dog fence comes with a 1-year warranty for the electronic parts and 2-years warranty for the wiring
- Made in the USA
Best budget-friendly, fully wireless dog fence
Features to look for:
- It has a coverage of up to 1 1/3 acres but can be expanded to cover an area of up to 100 acres
- The system can work just for 1 dog but also for an unlimited amount of canines
- It has a useful low battery indicator which will keep you informed about when the batteries need replacing
- The anti-linger technology will prevent battery power loss in case the dog is lying or lingering by the border
- It offers 4 levels of static stimulation, which can be adjusted in accordance with the size and character of your dog
- A warning tone will be emitted automatically if the dog gets close to the invisible wireless dog fence, and static stimulation will be emitted only in case the dog decides to cross the virtual boundaries
- The system is easy to set up with no construction work or deep digging required, which makes it portable as well
- The receiver on the collar is completely waterproof
- It is suitable for dogs that weigh 10 lbs. or more
- The receiver works with a 9V battery which will last for 6 to 12 months
- The kit includes 1000 feet of 20 gauge boundary wire, which can be expanded to surround an area of up to 100 acres
- The set also includes 100 training flags to set up for your dog to see and learn not to cross
- The transmitter can be mounted on a wall and has lightning protection which will keep it safe even when lightning strikes or there is a power surge
- The wireless dog fence has a nifty wire break alarm to alert you if a problem is detected in the wiring system
The rest of the best completely wireless dog fences for 2022
If you are shopping for a wireless dog fence for a medium or large dog but don’t want to go through the hassle of setting up any wires and poles around your home, you should check out the PetSafe PIF-300 system.
Features to look forward to:
- This wireless dog fence is portable and doesn’t need any wires to be set up, so you can use it at home or when you are out camping, traveling or simply visiting friends with your pup
- The system has a coverage of up to half an acre (a radius of up to 180 feet)
- You can use the radio transmitter wirelessly or plugged in
- The system will send automatic correction stimulations to the dog if it crosses the boundary you have set for it
- The stimulation can be adjusted from 1 to 5, so you can use the collar on dogs of all sizes and with all kinds of characters and levels of training
- If you prefer, you can set the system to transmit audio alerts only
- The warning signals to the dog will stop automatically after 33 seconds or as soon as the canine moves back into the safety zone, so the system is completely safe and will not injure your dog
- The wireless dog fence is incredibly easy to set up, no matter where you happen to be
- You can increase the perimeter of the wireless fence if you buy one or more IF100 transmitters
- The transmitter itself is very portable and weighs only 6 lbs.
- The collar is fully waterproof a safe even if the dog decides to take a swim or is roaming in the rain or snow outside
- The system is suitable for medium dog breeds and large-sized dogs
- The batteries are long-lasting and will work for 2 months and more
- The bundle includes an extra pack of batteries, as well as 50 training flags and poles to mark the boundaries for the dog to see
The Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 can be used as a dog fence, training, and tracking device for up to 20 pups, and has a range of up to 4 miles.
Thanks to the preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps on the handheld, you can view a very accurate map of the area you are located at all times.
The wireless dog fence is easy to set up by adjusting the virtual boundaries and marking them on the 3-inch color touchscreen display on the remote unit. If you need a larger screen to make the adjustments and to keep an eye on your dog’s whereabouts, you can set up the system on your laptop, computer, or on another compatible device as well.
The Alpha Mini can be set up to send various types of recall signals automatically in case the dog decides to leave the territory you have designated for it. You can choose an audio, vibrating or stimulation signal. The stimulation can be further adjusted to continuous or momentary, and also to a level from 1 up to 18, so it can be used even on the timidest and smallest of dogs.
You can also use the Garmin 100 TT15 mini to track your dog’s activity, including its route, distance passed, and speed, thanks to the built-in barometric altimeter and compass in the GPS system.
As with the larger model, this one uses GPS and satellite GLONASS tracking in real-time, so you can find the exact location of your dog whenever you want.
The dog collar and the handheld unit are powered by rechargeable lithium-ion batteries with a runtime of up to 20 hours. Even if you are camping or on the go, you can easily recharge them via the USB charging cable and a power bank or other device as well.
This highly efficient, portable, and easy-to-use wireless dog fence offered by Garmin is our absolute favorite option for small dogs. It will allow you to set up a secure dog fence wherever you go, without the need to set up or bury wires or actually build a fence!
You don’t need to break the bank to purchase an efficient, completely wireless dog fence. The Petfinder GPS Pet Tracker is the best affordable choice for such a system on the market this year.
The dog collar will allow you to keep track of your pet, speak to it, and call it remotely whenever you need to.
The collar is fully waterproof, and its batteries will run for up to 3 days. Thanks to the integrated technology, you can track down your canine friend even when you are in a densely wooded area or a place with a lot of large obstacles, thanks to the reliable GPS signal transmitted by the collar.
You don’t need a connection to the internet or a separate handheld unit to monitor your dog’s whereabouts with this inexpensive GPS wireless dog fence. All you need to do is to pay a monthly subscription of $5 for the cellular service (AT&T). The collar itself comes with a free SIM card, so you can stay connected with your dog at all times and even call it and talk to it whenever you feel like it or need to recall it.
This wireless dog fence works via a smart app that is available both for iOS and Android devices. The app has various useful features, including the option to easily set up the wireless dog fence’s boundaries.
If your dog happens to stray away from the safety zone’s virtual boundaries, you will immediately receive an alert on your mobile or another device.
You can also view your pet’s location wherever it goes as long as there is AT&T coverage in the area, which is pretty much everywhere in the US.
If you need to get your dog back, just recall it via the app, and your pup will come after hearing your voice or recall command.
The producers of this ingenious wireless dog fence and tracking system even suggest that it can be used to track and stay in contact with young children as well as elderly people too.
We love that the Petfinder is so easy to set up, doesn’t require an additional dedicated remote, and, most of all, is available at a very reasonable price for its quality and efficiency!
The top hybrid wireless dog fences for 2022
If you prefer a wireless dog fence that is not as portable and can be set up permanently around your outdoor space, you can choose one of our top picks for the best hybrid wireless dog fence systems for 2022. They require that wires be buried or set up, but they are affordable, reliable, and efficient for keeping your dog safe and close.
Here are our top picks for the best hybrid wireless dog fences for 2022.
If your dog is stubborn and doesn’t seem to want to learn to follow your commands, you may want to consider installing and using this Stubborn Dog in-ground fence system by PetSafe. It will help keep it within your boundaries without having to build an actual fence around your home.
Features to look for:
- It provides 3 types of stimulation – tone, vibration, and static
- The static correction level is adjustable from a low 1 up to a high 4, so it can be used for even the most stubborn dog
- The collar is waterproof and safe
- The wireless dog fence is suitable for dogs with neck size of 6-28 inches, weighing 8 lbs. or more
- The wireless fence can cover an area of 1/3 acres
- The kit includes 500 feet of wire, a transmitter, a receiver collar, a 9V battery, a power adaptor, a test light tool, 50 training flags, wire nuts, and gel fit safety capsules for them, as well as training guides and installation guides
- A low battery indicator will alert you when it is time to replace the battery of the receiver
- The system can work for more than one dog, cat, or pet
- Thanks to the vibration signal, you can even use it on a dog that is hearing impaired
- It is an affordable wireless dog fence that comes with a 1-year warranty
Features to look forward to:
- The wireless dog fence transmitter has a range of up to 25 acres
- There are various kits available depending on the length of the wiring you need – starting from 500 feet up to 2500 feet
- The eXtreme dog fence wire is made of 14 gauge heavy-duty wiring with a copper core, which is coated with protective and durable polyurethane
- The wiring is UV resistant and is rated as safe for direct burying in the ground
- The wireless dog fence has a temperature check feature that will hold it in place and allow it to operate despite any abrupt temperature changes
- Thanks to the wire check technology, you can rest assured that the signal will continue to be transmitted even if the problem in part of the wiring is detected because the system will increase it automatically
- The system will also monitor the state of the batteries on the dog collars every 2 hours
- You can adjust the frequency of the radio signal so that it does not interfere with other nearby signals and transmissions
- The dog collar is waterproof and can safely be submerged in water
- The wireless dog fence kit includes a digital transmitter, dog collar(s), two sets of steel collar contact points (medium and large) per collar, 14 gauge eXtreme wiring, training flags as well as staples, batteries, and splice kits
- The system is sold with a 5-year warranty and is made in the USA
- The useful and friendly customer care provided by the manufacturer is available 24/7
Features to look forward to:
- It is designed to be set up to provide up to 30% more space for the animals to play and roam
- The collar receiver can be fully charged for only 2-3 hours and will work for up to 3 weeks after each charge
- The waterproof collar will be safe even when it is raining, snowing, or the pet decides to jump in the pool
- The static correction is adjustable from 1 to 5
- The system is safe to use for cats and animals as small as 5 lbs.
- The collar can fit dogs and animals with necks sized 6 to 26 inches
- The coverage of this wireless dog fence is 1/3 acres, but it can be further expanded to surround an outdoor space of up to 10 acres
- It is compatible with the PawzAway PetSafe pet barriers
- You can use the system to keep the pet out of a specific area, such as your pool or garden
- The installation of the wires and flags is quick and easy
- The fence is portable, so you can de-install it and take it to your summer house too
- By buying additional collars, you can use this fence for an unlimited number of dogs and pets
Features to look forward to:
- The dog collar is IPX7 waterproof, comfortable, and has rechargeable batteries
- It can be adjusted to dogs with neck sizes from 8 up to 27 inches and weighing 11-155 lbs.
- The system can provide vibration, tone-only or static stimulation
- If the dog approaches the set boundaries, the system will first warn it with a tone alert, and only if the dog continues ahead will the static correction be emitted
- The automatic static stimulation can be adjusted to one of the 3 levels available
- The transmitter can be wall or door mounted
- You can use the system to manually transmit a sound, vibration, or static signal to the dog when you want to correct its behavior or when you are training it
- The manual vibration and static correction have 10 adjustment levels
- The wires which come with the set can either be buried in the ground or set on top of it
- The wires are made of durable copper and will withstand chewing, digging and vehicles running over them
- The remote transmitter can be used to train up to 3 dogs at the same time
- You will receive warnings about which dog is about to receive correction in order to prevent accidental shocks
- The kit includes a transmitter, a waterproof collar receiver, 492 ft. of durable 20 Gauge wiring, a double split USB charging cable, a power adapter, a test light, 50 dog training flags, and 2 short and 2 long collar contact points for dogs with short or long hair
- The wireless dog fence and training system is very affordable and has a 12-month warranty
Features to look forward to:
- The set is sold with 1 to 5 collars, but if you buy more collars separately, you can expand it to an infinite number of dogs
- You can order this fence with wiring starting from 1000 feet up to 3000 feet
- The 14 Gauge eXtreme wire is covered with polyethylene which insulates and protects it from extreme weather conditions and temperatures
- The wire can safely be submerged in water as well
- The coverage of the system is up to 10 acres
- The collars are safe and suitable for dogs weighing at least 10 and up to 150 lbs.
- It is compatible with the popular Pawz Away pet barrier product line by PetSafe
- The static correction levels can be adjusted separately for each dog from level 1 up to level 5
The benefits of using a wireless dog fence
While the main benefit of using a wireless dog fence is obvious – it will help keep your dog safely contained within a safe zone which you have set up for it, there are various other advantages of investing in a good quality wireless dog fence.
It is a much cheaper and easier variant for building an actual physical fence. Your outdoor space may lack a proper fence for many reasons, including local regulations, lack of finances, aesthetics, etc. This is where an invisible wireless dog fence can come in handy.
It will not ruin your view or bother your neighbors or local authorities. Also, it will cost you just fragments of what you will need to pay to construct a real fence around your property.
With top quality, reliable wireless dog fence, you can rest assured that your dog won’t jump out on the street, chase after other dogs or animals, or wander off and get lost.
The wireless fences on our list are all superb dog containment devices, and with any of these systems, you can teach even the most stubborn dog to stay within the perimeter you have set up for it.
We have picked the best completely wireless ones, which you can carry around with you wherever you go, track your dogs, and keep them within a specific zone. These fully wireless dog fences are excellent if you enjoy camping, hunting, hiking, traveling, and other outdoor adventures with your four-legged pal.
The other types are the hybrid wireless dog fences, which too are very efficient in keeping the dog safe and contained in a particular area, but most of them are difficult to move because the wires need to be buried in the ground.
Still, there are some excellent hybrid wireless dog fences that we have picked for you, which are perfect for those of you who don’t need a portable dog fence.
The hybrid dog fences can also be used to keep your dog away from particular zones and areas of your yard, such as the flower or vegetable garden, the pool, or others, thanks to the fact that the wires are flexible and very durable, and can be formed in any shape.
These are also excellent for yards or outdoor spaces that have irregular shapes.
Are wireless dog fences safe for the dog?
All of the systems we have chosen are tested and are perfectly safe for dogs, as long as they are set up and used properly.
Most hybrid systems come with training flags that signal the dog that it is approaching the boundary. In this case, it will take just a few attempts of the dog to cross the virtual boundaries to realize that a static stimulation is being set off.
Pretty soon, the pup will learn to stay away from the flags and to go back as soon as it sees a flag or receives a warning tonal or vibrating signal (depending on the model you choose to use).
Plus, unlike regular dog training collars, you won’t need to send a recall signal to the dog manually. With the majority of these wireless dog fences, the system itself will detect when the dog is approaching or leaving the set perimeter and will automatically transmit a sound, vibration, or static stimulation to the dog collar, in order to get it back into the safety zone.
Some of the wireless dog fences we have picked for you can also be used as tracking devices for the dog as well. With the completely wireless versions on the top of our list, you can keep an eye on your dog’s whereabouts in real-time via GPS, satellite, cellular networks, or radio transmissions.
In many cases, the wireless dog fence can also be used as a training device. Many of the products we have chosen for you will allow you to set the handheld remote to a specific level of static stimulation or tone and vibration. You can manually send a signal to your dog if you want to curb undesired behavior or want to recall it. In most cases, these devices can be set up for training several dogs at once and can be used separately for each dog to avoid unnecessary or accidental shocks.
An important factor that many people forget is that the wireless dog fence will keep your pet contained in the safety zone you have set. Still, unfortunately, it can’t keep intruders such as wild animals or other dogs out, so you will still need to keep an eye on your dog anyway.
The most important thing to remember is always following the instructions and training guides when setting up and using a wireless dog fence.
Never attempt to use the static correction to penalize the dog without reason because this can lead to a completely adverse effect and can cause mild to serious physical and, most importantly, psychological trauma to the dog.
What are the most important features to look for when choosing a wireless dog fence?
Since there are so many different types, models, and variants of wireless dog fences on the market, choosing the best and most suitable one can turn into an arduous task.
Here are the basic features which you should pay attention to when shopping for one:
If you need a system that you can use not only around your home but every time you go camping, fishing, hiking or on vacation, then you should opt for a completely wireless dog fence like one of our top picks. These devices are compact, do not require any complicated physical setup of wires, and can be used wherever you go.
Then again, you can save money and buy a less expensive hybrid wireless dog fence with in-ground wires, if you need a fence for your home or a particular area only, and don’t plan on moving it any time soon.
You should invest in a durable wireless dog fence that can withstand the changes in the weather, as well as high or low temperatures or other harsh conditions because your dog’s safety depends on this. The collar receiver should be waterproof so that if it starts raining or snowing, or if the dog gets wet, the system doesn’t stop working suddenly, or even worse – to hurt the dog with shocks being administered accidentally. Plus, you know that mixing water and electricity is never a good idea.
Naturally, the budget you have set for a wireless dog fence is one of the most important features to consider. We have picked wireless dog fences for every budget, so you can pick the best one which fits your budget.
Some of them cost less than $150, while others can cost close to or over a thousand dollars.
The Garmin GPS wireless dog fences have preloaded maps, as well as both GPS and satellite tracking. They can be used for real-time tracking of the dog, recalling it and monitoring its route, speed, and others which is why they are more expensive than others. Still, if you need a portable wireless dog fence, tracking, and training device in one – the investment is definitely worthwhile.
The range and coverage of the system
Always check the range and coverage of the wireless dog fence before buying it to ensure that it will be sufficient for the area you want to be covered. Also, you can save money for extra wires and flags of a system that has too broad coverage for you.
Recall and correction types and levels
Most wireless dog fences have static stimulation, sent to the dog’s collar to stop it from crossing the virtual borders of the safety zone. In most cases, these systems are highly efficient and will teach the dog to stop and turn back as soon as the warning signal or vibration is emitted and before the static signal is emitted.
Also, many of the wireless dog fences also have training flags to give the dog visual signals about where the boundary is.
All wireless dog fences have adjustable levels of static stimulation, so you can adjust them to be safe and suitable for the smallest and most timid dogs and larger and stubborn dogs.
The more customizable your wireless dog fence is, the better you can adapt it to your own needs and to your dog’s character.
Hybrid or wireless
Hybrid wireless dog fences are not completely wireless because they do have wires that, in most cases, must be buried under the ground. They are still invisible and won’t ruin your view or the aesthetics of your outdoor space; plus they can be used for keeping dogs contained in outdoor areas with non-standard shapes, as well as to keep them out of specific areas in the yard.
The hybrid systems, in most cases, are less expensive than the completely wireless ones. They require more work to be installed and are not as portable as the fully wireless ones.
Regardless of the type, all of the wireless dog fences on our list are very reliable when keeping your dog within the perimeter you want it to stay. They are well built and durable, and easy to use.
Low battery indicator
You wouldn’t want the receiver on your dog’s collar or the transmitter to run out of power suddenly because this may be very risky for your dog. This is why look for a system with a low battery alert and other indications.
You may want to consider purchasing a wireless dog fence which can also be used for tracking the dog, training it, or both.
We have added several combined systems to our list, which can save you a lot of money from having to buy a fence, a GPS tracker, and a training collar separately.
The safety of the device
Make sure you buy a wireless dog fence from a reputable manufacturer and that the product is of high quality before setting it up and using it on your dog.
Always read the instructions carefully before proceeding to use your wireless fence, and adjust the static stimulation according to the size and temperament of your dog.
Remember to discontinue using the system if your dog doesn’t seem to respond well to the recall signal and static stimulation. Some dogs may get startled by the sudden shock and run away and hide, so monitor your dog carefully when you start using your wireless dog fence.
A good quality wireless dog fence can be the difference between life and death for your dog. It can keep your dog safe from traffic, wandering off and getting lost, and other dangers.
With an invisible fence like this, you will not ruin your landscape and you won’t need to pay a load of money to install an actual fence.
Most of all, you will feel secure that your dog is always nearby with a fence like this!